How to Know if it’s Steel or Stainless Steel
Posted: January 3, 2023
It can be difficult to know the differences between stainless steel and steel. Here are a couple of facts and tips so you can tell the difference.
– Also known of inox steel coming from the French word inoxydable.
– Stainless steel does not easily corrode, rust or stain like regular steel does.
– Not a good conductor for electricity
– Not usually magnetic
– Used for cookware, razors, oil rigs, surgical tools, jewelry, appliances, automotive, aerospace, Chrysler building in NY
– 100% recyclable
– There are many types of stainless steel (17-4 stainless, 300 series stainless, 304 stainless, 310 stainless, 316 stainless, 321 stainless, and 400 series stainless).
– Stainless steel is great for high temperature applications because it is a very hard metal
– Stainless steel makes up the St.Louis arch
– Steel is magnetic, making it easier to separate steel from waste garbage.
– Steel is the most recycled metal in the world
– Steel is an alloy of iron and carbon
– Used in appliances, railroads, medical equipment and other construction projects
– Steel can be recycled without losing strength.
– More than 14 million cars were recycled in 2006, which were in turn recycled to create 13.5 million new ones
– Steel framing and doors in homes last about 3 times longer than wooden frames and doors. They also protect against fires and damage from other natural disasters.
– Steel is magnetic.
So how do you know if you have steel or stainless steel?
If you have a magnet try to stick it to your metal. If it sticks you will more than likely have steel, if it does not stick than you have stainless (worth more).
Call us: 973-625-9560
For the Morris, Essex, Union, Hudson, Sussex, Passaic, Somerset, and other New Jersey Counties visit us here:
311 W. Main St.
Rockaway, NJ 07866